Monday, October 17, 2011
I have long enjoyed the vintage recordings of the great Scottish accordionist Jimmy Shand (1908-2000) and was thrilled to locate this 1994 collection of some of his classic 78's. Shand's name is synonymous with the Scottish Country Dance movement, and no doubt dancers have comprised the majority of his record buyers through the years. Nonetheless, I find his recordings, especially his earlier ones, to be fantastic listening.
The present compilation contains 21 tracks spanning the years 1934-1954, including 3 of his earliest for Regal-Zonophone, the remainder originally released on the Parlophone label.
Shand's career is well documented, a nice bio can be read here.
The folder contains all 21 tracks on mp3, as well as a text file with complete tune lists, release number and year for each track.
1. Set of Reels - The Punch Bowl/My Love She's But Lassie Yet/Fair Maid of Perth
2. The Drunken Piper/The Laird of Drumblair/De'il Amang The Tailors
3. The Machine Without Horses/My Wife's A Wanton Wee Thing/Glendaruel Highlanders
4. La Russe - La Russe/The Punch Bowl/Cairdin 'Ot
5. Scottish Waltz - Jock O' Hazeldean/We'd Better Bide A Wee/My Nannie's Awa'/Auld Scotch Song
6. Hornpipes - Dundee Horpipe/Millicent's Favourite
7. Eightsome Reel - The De'il Amang The Tailors/Staten Island/Speed The Plough/The Wind That Shakes The Barley/Mrs. McLeod
8. Bluebell Polka
9. Dundee Reel - Bonnie Dundee/Rock And Wee Pickle Tow/Atholl Gathering
10. Merrily Danced The Quaker's Wife - Merrily Danc'd The Quaker's Wife/Dumfries House/Bonnie Doon
11. Miss Betty Fitchet's Wedding
12. The New Rigged Ship/Off She Goes/Kinloch of Kinloch
13. The Queen Mary Waltz
14. La Valeta
15. The Londonderry & High Level Hornpipes
16. Primrose Polka
18. The Duke of Perth (Broon's Reel) - Duke Of Perth/This Is No My Ain Lassie/The Wandering Drummer
19. Reel of 51st Division - The Drunken Piper/Bonnie Ann
20. Inverness Gathering/Braes Of Tullymet/Kitty High
21. The Agnes Waltz